- Manus Carlisle (Policy and Press Officer for Green Party MEP Grace O’Sullivan) yesterday claimed that a profile picture of an Ireland First account was used “hundreds of times by the same person spreading nonsense” and that “the large growth of openly racist accounts on Irish twitter is just a handful of people.”
- The post has nearly 37,000 views at time of print
- He included a screenshot of a reverse image search on Google:
- A quick look at the profiles in the image search show they don’t have the profile picture in question. They showed up in search results because they replied to the user with the profile picture.
- Manus seems to not understand how reverse image search works and how an API sends and retrieves data, as an X/Twitter user pointed out.
None of the accounts Manus Carlisle referred to have the profile picture in question. His claim is totally incorrect.
Furthermore, his claim about the large growth of “racist” accounts being fake does not match opinion polling. Since Manus seems to think that border control is racist, and opinion polling shows that 75% of Irish people want immigration reduced, a surge of immigration-skepticism should be mirrored on X/Twitter (which has happened, organically).
More concerning is the fact that the Press Officer of a Green Party politician in the EU, who (like the Green Party and the EU) is weaponising the term “disinformation” to censor speech in Ireland, would willingly slander political opponents (or not understand how the internet works) shows how all the talk from the establishment about “fake news” is merely a ploy to silence normal Irish people.